Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Pink

I'm not particularly girlish (and despise the word "girly"). But I've always loved pink. My favorite is the tender pink of ballet slippers. I can still smell the leather and remember the simple pleasure of sitting in the dusty dressing room with my friends, sewing the straps on our new shoes before practice...
Then there's the yummy rose pink my grandmother always called "Bon Bon." And I love pink that's so pale it's almost white...like early spring blossoms. Not keen on "hot pink," though. I prefer subtlety and complex tones to vivid brights.

So is it any wonder that I chose a lovely salmon-rose (very close to Bon Bon pink!) for these sweet little slipper-socks?
They're a gift for my sister, who's been dealing with a particularly painful problem since December.

Feeling helpless because I live 3,000 miles away, I felt compelled to send her a knitted hug--something warm, pretty, and cozy. Here's what I decided on:

Twisted Slipper Socks
(my own design)
Yarn: 2 balls Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran (color 602)
Needles: Addi Turbo 32" US#4 Circulars (magic loop method)

I really love these socks, and hope my sister does, too. They'll hug her feet with soft pink tenderness and warmth when I'm not there to give her a real hug.

PS. I love this photo, and have no idea where I got it. If you know the photographer, please let me know. I don't like to use anyone's work without permission!


Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Sheila said...

They are beautiful. I'm sure your sister will feel the love that you knit into those socks. Pink is always associated with "girlish" things but it is just red in disguise.