Monday, November 10, 2008

Knittin' and Kitten

Meet Charley...
He's the newest member of our little household. After Maggie died last January, we couldn't even think of getting another kitty. But over the months, Chris, Katja, and I found ourselves grieving less and then, suddenly, feeling like it was time for a new kitty...a playmate for Katja.

Enter Charley -- about two pounds of 24-hour-a-day, nonstop Kitten. When I saw his picture, with his little newborn blue eyes and apricot-cream coloring, I knew he was the one.

My friend Elaine rescued him, along with his siblings, near her home in upstate New York. We waited for him to grow up a little, and then, last Thursday, he arrived in style, chauffered by Elaine and her husband (who were on their way to DC for the weekend). Have no doubt: You'll be hearing about his antics for years to come!

Shalimar Yarns Missy Bulky

Speaking of the weekend, I stopped by Stitches East in Baltimore on Saturday to see how my designs for Shalimar Yarns were doing. I created the following five patterns for the Frederick, Md.-based company:
  • Shenandoah Capelet
  • Clover Honey Shawlette
  • Freesia Socks
  • Rotunda Baby Blanket
  • Heart in Hand Fingerless Gloves

Shalimar Yarns is owned and operated by the delightful Kristi, who also owns Eleganza Yarns, in Frederick, Md. Her line of hand-dyed yarns includes some of the softest bulky-weight Merino I've ever had the pleasure of knitting.

The worsted-weight knits up with a nice drape on US #6 - 7 needles, and is next-to-the-skin gentle. Then there's the new Zoe Sock, a fingering-weight from a terrific source. It's not only soft, it "has tooth," if you know what I mean. The colors are fab, and the yarn just plain feels good to knit with.

Apparently, the Clover Honey Shawlette (see a photo of the yarn and the very beginning of the shawl in last Tuesday's post) was the hit pattern of the show for Shalimar. I have to say I was happy with the final product: a lace and garter stitch shoulder shawl with a sweet beaded edge.

Kristi tells me my other patterns also generated a good amount of interest. This is SO exciting to me!!! As I learn more, I'll share any info that might be of interest -- including photos of the garments.

Chris and I also chatted with Kristin Nicholas, who is so down to Earth you couldn't be star-struck if you wanted to, met tons of yarn vendors, and went for a walk around the market.

At one point, I stopped in to say hello to my friend Karida, owner of Neighborhood Fiber Co., in D.C. Along with her yarn, she had some gorgeous roving, which she was generous enough to share. Thank you, Karida! So here are some initial photos of my Stitches loot...


Neighborhood Fiber Co. Silk-Merino Roving (above and below)



We also spent a few minutes with Sharon, owner of Three Irish Girls and co-owner of Yarn Love. I was glad to introduce her to Chris, so he could put a face with the name when I mention her. She's lovely, as is her yarn...Check out her online stores!

By necessity, I was very good and didn't splurge, but I did come home with a few goodies. Photos are awaiting editing, and will arrive shortly. As will links to my patterns, which will be on sale soon at Shalimar Yarns' new Web site.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: