Friday, March 20, 2009

Roll Over

Rollover Gloves, in Socks that Rock Medium Weight (Colorway: Philosopher's Stone)

I've been working on a few things lately, in between long spells of "resting up" and trying to up my energy level. I'm excited about two designs I've done for two terrific sock clubs. And there's always more in the works...

In terms of "my own designs," or designs I came up with for no one in particular, these fingerless gloves sum up my primary goal over the past several weeks: Seek warmth! Our house is on the old side, and gets drafty and chilly when the temperature drops below 50 degrees.

Sometimes, though, I just don't feel like bundling up in bulky clothes. Enter the wrist warmers/fingerless gloves. They really do keep you warm! And, importantly, this pair allows enough finger and thumb dexterity to let you knit/crochet/spin your little heart out.

Wear 'em while you knit!

The semi-random cable pattern and little details like the purl rounds at the fingers make this a quick-to-knit project with enough interest to keep you awake, but not so much that it interferes with your enjoyment of Entourage reruns.

This pattern will be available soon, with some thumb and finger options. That way you can make one pair to wear when you're snuggling up indoors on cold days, and another pair with more coverage to wear when you run out to your LYS for more yarn.

***

Speaking of which: Please shop at your LYS as often as you can. Michael's and AC Moore don't need your business to stay alive. Your LYS does. Let's all pitch in and help the little guys!

Need the new issue of Interweave Knits or Spin Off? Head to your LYS.
Need an invigorating shot of new yarn in your stash? Head to your LYS.
Just want a little company while you knit? By all means, head to your LYS...then consider picking up a tiny, little gizmo, gadget, or gewgaw while you're there.

After all, wouldn't it suck to live in a world without independent yarn stores? Yes, it would.

***

And now, to thank you for enabling me to get on my soapbox for a few lines, I'll share a little treat I threw together a while ago:

Gorgeous hot pads from Karin Birch:: Sewn (Check out her Etsy shop!)

After a quiche-making session, I found myself with an extra (refrigerated) crust. One evening (one? hah!) my sweet tooth was acting up. So I grabbed a couple of reasonably-tasty apples that had been languishing in a bowl on my table, and chopped them up into one-inch cubes. Then I rolled the crust into circles and mounded the apples on top.

A couple of tablespoons of sugar (both white and brown), some cinnamon, a dash of nutmeg, and numerous "dots" of butter rounded out the filling. I folded the edges in, poked some holes in them with a fork, and baked them at 350 until the apples were tender.

The result: Pretty little apple pockets.
The verdict: Very tasty...especially with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream on top. Yum.

Happy knitting!


Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice hand knitting!