Friday, December 26, 2008

To BE fingerless? Or not to be...?

I think I've said this before, but it bears repeating: Who doesn't love a little red mitten?

For grown ups, though, mittens are often inconvenient. That's why I designed this ultra-cozy pair of fingerless gloves that don't always have to be fingerless.

I've made three pair: Two in red and one in green, all using Dale of Norway Sisik (now discontinued), a tweedy, fluffy yarn with all the warmth of mohair.

You can wear these gloves three ways:
1) With both cuffs up, pictured above
2) With the finger-cuff up, like this...

OR...

3) With both cuffs unfurled, to keep your fingers toasty:

They're so simple to make -- an easy, fun knit with worsted-weight yarn on US#3 needles for a nice, dense fabric. Having made three pair this year, however, I think I'll take a little break and make something else.

Perhaps a shawl? I'm in the mood for a little lace and some shiny beads...kinda like this one, but different:

Yes, the photo is sideways. I like it like that.

So I'm going to wind this little baby into a nice, neat yarn cake (thus combining two of my favorite things!) and see what I come up with...

LinkCTH Supersock Select in Moody Blues

Ssshhh...Don't tell anyone, though. It's going to be a secret ;-)


Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

marya said...

Your fingerless gloves are the best! I had set aside the green pair to give my aunt, but when I saw my 80 year old mother-in-law trying to warm her arthritic hands (now, the rest of her is a totally active, kickin' spring chicken, but she suffers with those hands) I pulled out the green gloves and told her they were an early Christmas present. She just adores them!!! (Sorry, Aunt Margy, that you got the ice scraper for your car instead!)