Thursday, May 14, 2009

One of those moments...

This morning, while working at my tiny little 1950's kitchen table, I looked up and saw this...

Do you notice anything? I hadn't, until my eyes really opened and I saw, with a little thrill of pleasure, that all of the colors in this little tableau echoed and complemented each other.

All are colors I happen to love, too. It was one of those serendipitous moments -- the kind you want to capture -- that can inspire designs, new colorways, paintings, poems...

And speaking of inspiration and design, take a look at Madeline Tosh's gorgeous Web site. Her home page alone is enough to make me want to pull out my needles and start creating something beautiful. I haven't yet worked with her yarn...But that may change in the near future!

Here's another photo of Vienna, the little shrug I featured in my last post. Simple, enjoyable lace with short, meditative repeats. Garter stitch borders, to make the minimal seaming as easy as possible, followed by a bit of ribbing that lets your mind wander freely.

And all the while, your hands and needles are singing because of the incredibly soft, lofty, gorgeously colored yarn. More good news? The yardage required is ridiculously low!

You can buy Vienna and Honey Worsted (shown in Damson, above) directly from Shalimar Yarns. If you do, please send me photos of your finished objects -- I'd love to see what you do with this pattern!


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: