Friday, May 25, 2007

Inspiration is in the details...

How many details do you see? When I took this photo, I didn't even notice the little checkerboard pattern beside the window. So when I downloaded the photos into my Mac, seeing it was a lovely surprise. Isn't it funny, how we "see" or fail to "see" things, and simply imagine others?

Being an artist--of any kind--is about Seeing. Because artists are human beings, and therefore individuals, I imagine each has his or her own "tricks" or philosophies or practices to help improve and enhance their ability to See. On the other hand, I know some people who look at the world every day and seldom really See anything. How about you? What have you done that's helped you learn to See?


By the way, I have a legitimate excuse for not posting much this week...SPRING FEVER!

We've had the weirdest spring in D.C. Wonderful weather early on, then snow in April. Then wonderful, then days and days of gray, damp, and windy. But this week has been glorious. Everywhere I turn gardens are lush, trees form thick canopies over the streets, and people are soaking it all in at outdoor cafes and restaurants with sidewalk seating. This weekend, thankfully, is expected to give us more of the same. Yay!

By the way, don't forget to spend a little time on Monday remembering those for whom Memorial Day was created. From World War I to World War II, from Korea to Vietnam, from Bosnia to Iraq...Regardless of politics, they've given us the gift of their service and, often, their lives. A few quiet moments to say thank you is worth more than you can imagine. Then...

Bust out the BBQ!!! Hope you all have a gorgeous Memorial Day weekend, filled with fun, friends, and fiber :-)


Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

amanda j said...

Photographs are a wonderful way of checking what our eyes miss. I seem to be obsessed with spotting knitwear and often stare at people's scarves or jumpers and lose track of what they are saying! I am trying to work out how the garment is constructed.