Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Frozen Peace Fleece, Anyone? (No? How about some Lorna's Laces...)

OK, please be honest. Am I the only knitter (AKA: stasher) who takes preventative anti-moth measures?

What you're looking at are three skeins of Peace Fleece, which I bought at Eco-Green, a local shop that specializes in organic, green, fair-trade products.

Why are they in the freezer, you ask? Well...because I'm sick. I literally dream about finding moths in my home (more of a nightmare, really). So whenever I buy yarn from a store that's an "unknown quantity" I pop it in the freezer for a couple of days to kill any fabric bugs/eggs that might be hiding in the depths of my new wool-babies.

The red yarn and pretty needles are going to be the Knitting Needle Bag from Bag Style. You can also download the pattern free at Knitting Daily.

Here's how the freezer trick works: You put the yarn in the freezer for 24 - 48 hours, which either kills the little buggers or puts them into dormancy. They think it's the deep freeze of winter. Then, when you take the yarn out of the freezer, they suddenly think it's spring! You give them 24 hours in the warmth of your kitchen, and then--this is the evil part--pop the yarn back into the freezer for a day or two. This kills the little guys who made it through the first freeze.

Three skeins of DK-weight Peace Fleece I bought at Eco-Green earlier this year...They're going to make some hefty boot socks to keep Chris' little piggies warm!

But I want to get back to my question: Do you ever take preventative anti-moth measures? Or do you know anyone who does? I need to know. Maybe, if I'm not alone, I won't feel so OCD! Do you think it's weird?

An orphan skein of Claudia's HP, rescued from Stitch DC last spring. Too pretty to pass up, don't you agree?

SWAP, ANYONE?

Last fall I bought five skeins of Lorna's Laces in Gold Hill, which I thought would make a really pretty leaf-patterned autumny wrap. But they've sat in my stash for the past year, and I've finally come to terms with the fact that I'm probably not going to use them.

Help us fulfill our destiny!

I know, I know, I could make socks with them. But I wasn't particularly happy with the pooling in my Waving Lace socks (made with LL in Watercolors). I like how the yarn feels, and I like the solid colors, but the multicolored LL yarns aren't my top choice.

So... If anyone would like to buy them, or swap for them, please drop me a line at knitsix@gmail.com

Happy knitting!


Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

bobbi said...

don't you just love the Knitting Needle Bag. I'll watch for you photo's of the finished bag.
thanks for the freezer idea. i'll keep it in mind, but i hope i won't need to do it.
I'm going to be in D. C next week for a week.