Saturday, February 21, 2009

Happiness

Eastern Bluebird, Wikimedia Commons (Public Domain)

I looked up from my knitting this morning, and saw a flash of brilliant blue. It could have been a toy or piece of plastic bag caught in one of our trees (it's been devastatingly windy here). But something made me jump up and join Charley at the window.

That's when I saw them: Eastern Bluebirds, in full color. I was thrilled...I've never actually seen one before, and here was a little group, hanging out in the Back 40 and the corn field beyond. Thank goodness the neighbor-cat, Lucy, wasn't outdoors. She's a real huntress!

The first time I ever saw a Cardinal, I was awestruck. I mean, honestly, a bright red bird? Not where I come from (San Francisco). That feeling remains. Cardinals seem magical to me, and their little metallic chirps always make me smile, just knowing they're there...

So when I saw a brilliant, cobalt-blue bird with a red chest, perched in one of the apple trees out back...Well, let's just say that my excitement rivaled Charley's, though my mouth wasn't watering the way his was...

Charley, peeking. Jan. 2009

On NPR last night, a local gardening expert was talking about all the flowers to expect in early, mid-, and late spring. Our warm spell a week ago really got things started. Flowering plums are beginning to bud, as are the forsythias along the driveway. One of these days I'll have to get out the rake and clean up the sycamore leaves, so the little crocus babies can get some sun.

I love summer, feel melancholy in autumn, and try to find positive things about winter. But this time of year, when the air is softening, the sun is intensifying, and nature is beginning to stir--this is my favorite time of all.

The excitement of being right on the crest, about to tumble into the hot and humid days of summer, watching the days lengthen...

The expectation of spring is, perhaps, sweeter than the season itself.


Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Commenting from MN, thanks for the breath of spring...