Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Orchid Socks: Finis!


I cast off on Sunday, and blocked them to make sewing the picot edge at the top a bit easier. Trying to wrestle a rolling edge into a nice, neat hem is a real pain. Sewing will probably happen today, but in my book this is now a finished project!
Pattern: Orchid Socks AKA Simply Lovely Lace Socks (IK Spring 06)
Yarn: Koigu (Can't find the band, but I'll try to remember to look up the color #)
Needles: Addi Turbo 32" US #0 (magic loop method)
Mods: None! This was a simply lovely pattern, and came out perfectly!

I must say, I really enjoyed knitting these. The stitch pattern is SO easy to remember, so you can just relax and knit. They were a wonderful project for knitting in public, since I love people-watching and don't like to have to watch my knitting instead. Of course, I keep a close eye on what I'm doing, too...Dropped stitches aren't a disaster, but they slow you down!


Last Friday I found myself in Georgetown after a doctor's appointment, waiting for my husband to meet me for dinner at Old Glory. BUT I'd forgotten to put my knitting in my purse! Oh, my God, what an emergency. And it was such a beautiful day. All I wanted to do was find a garden bench at the Old Stone House and knit in the sun. So...I made a quick trip to Stitch DC, spent money I couldn't afford to spend, and emerged with two skeins of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in Watercolor and a rather cheap set of DPNs (US #1).

I cast on for the Waving Lace socks, which you can see on the cover of Favorite Socks. I chose to do a twisted 1x1 rib instead of the prettier pattern shown in the book's photos. Ribbing is just more practical for me...I like pretty socks, but they have to stay up or I know I won't wear them.

(Maggie's feeling MUCH better--YAY!)

Waving Lace sock #1 is much farther along now, so I'll take more photos today and get them up here. Meanwhile, you can also follow this project at the Favorite Socks KAL: Just click on the button in my sidebar.

Have a great day, everyone!


Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

amanda j said...

Lorna's Laces and Koigu! Two things I can't buy unless I want to pay postage! The purple socks are so pretty!!